Monday, February 1, 2010

Characteristic #2 - Concrete

Okay, so the 2nd characteristic is Concrete - "It should be measurable and time-specific - for example, "I want to lose five pounds in four weeks." Actually, that is my goal. I want to lose 5 pounds in 4 weeks every 4 weeks until I hit my 50 lbs. So, my goal is measurable, time-specific and concrete. I accept that goal. It's more concrete actually than saying 50 lbs in one year. That allows me to put it off. I now have a more concrete goal of 5 lbs a month.

So, I asked Shawn to put the boys to bed last night. He was okay with that. What it meant though was that he had to put Riley down. We were doing pretty good for a while. Riley was actually going to bed in his bed and by himself. Not sure what changed, but for the last month it's been a battle. I've had to start laying with him to get him down in anything less than 2 hours of in and out of bed. So Shawn put Riley down last night. Yes, yes he did. That sweet, sweet funny man put Riley down without once threatening to spank him for getting up. Oh, there was still a threat, but it wasn't directed at Riley. No, the threat he used was that if Riley didn't stay in bed mom was going to spank dad and dad really didn't want to be spanked. It got Riley in bed initially. It didn't last long so Shawn reiterated that he was going to get in BIG TROUBLE and did Riley really want dad to get spanked? Riley apologized, "I didn't mean to get you in trouble dad." That lasted for a bit longer and then while I was taking a bath apparently Shawn had to remind Riley again, but this time he used visual effects. He showed him his arm, where he was sore from trying to start an auger, and the back of his knee where he had a cut from the gate to his dead room. He "showed" Riley the results of his injuries from Riley getting out of bed. I believe "wooden spoon" was used as well because Riley told me not to spank his dad with a wooden spoon today. Riley did stay in bed the last time but that may be the last time I ask Shawn to put him to bed. :) Guess that's one way to work it.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, oh my funny brother. Silly guy. Love it.

    Nice job being concrete, and much easier to reach small goals then one gigantic one. One step at a time. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete